We are talking to you today about travelling to and from school safely.
Some key messages we need you to remember –
- Do not walk home alone – always walk with a friend or group
- Keep to well-lit roads and avoid taking short cuts or passageways
- Do not have your electronic devices out and visible
- Do not use phones whilst crossing roads. Try not to use ear or headphones as you won`t be able to hear oncoming traffic or people approaching you.
- If you see anyone acting suspiciously make your way to the nearest public place i.e. a shop and report your concern
- Do not approach anyone who you do not know
If you have any concerns about walking home alone please go directly to your Form Tutor for support. Do not leave school if you are concerned, any member of staff at The Pendlebury Centre will ensure you are kept and feel safe!
We have sent an email home to ask families to ensure that they are also stressing the importance of travel safety and that they are aware of the route you take to and from school, please keep your parents/carers updated with any changes to your journey.
Check list for young people
- Think – before you go out
- Where are you going?
- How are you getting there?
- Who are you going with?
- Who needs to know?
- Take only the money you need and keep it in a safe place.
- How are you getting home?
- Is your mobile charged and have you got credit?
- Keep your mobile handy but out of sight
- Keep valuables such as devices, jewellery and items of expensive clothing out of sight
- Who will you contact in an emergency?